Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Encouragement

Those who know me know I'm a runner. Always have been. Well, not always. But in first grade, we had a track meet, and I ran in the 100 meter dash..and won! From that day on I was a runner. Granted, that was the last time I've ever gotten first place...but I still run. Round about 7th grade, my first year of junior high track, I learned sprinting wasn't the sport for me...too slow off the blocks...I'd been running cross country since 6th, so long distance it was. There is a point to all this, I swear. Just giving you a bit of background for kicks and giggles. So basically, I've been a runner in some capacity for most of my life. I really do love it. It's especially great this summer. After a long day I'm able to go back to my room and then go pound out the troubles of the day, both professional and personal. The pain, exhaustion, sweat dripping in my eyes (especially in this climate where it's customarily in the mid to upper 90s every day), and cotton mouth replace any emotional troubles with easily manageable physical troubles, leaving all of my mental, emotional, and spiritual capacities open to focus on God, to pray, and to listen to what He has in store for me (the future is going to be fantastic, I'm sure of it!)

Anyway, so to the point. I was running around the pond this evening when I made a realization. Another runner passed me going the other way, and without thinking we both made eye contact at the same time, I waved, he gave me a thumbs up, and we went on our separate ways. I've never seen him before, and I very well might never meet him again. Complete strangers with completely different backgrounds, histories, beliefs, ideologies, everything, and yet without a second thought or pre-determined notion or bias we each gave each other encouragement. It seems inconsequential I understand. What's a thumbs up? I'm not running a marathon, I'm not lost or stranded. Never once in my run did i stray more than a mile from my room, and never once was I more than a shout away from help if necessary. I wasn't disheartened or thinking about quitting early. So sure, in this particular case, I was in no need of encouragement. But I received it none the less. It made me smile quietly to myself because this isn't a singular occurrence. This happens whenever I pass a runner whilst I'm running. I assume that most every runner everywhere knows this same feeling. It's a brotherhood. We're all in the same boat and we all support each other without a thought. Isn't that great? Shouldn't that be the case everywhere with everything?

It made me think of something else remarkable. I'm a great giant space nerd, and I follow each space shuttle mission closely. This summer I've had the ability to spend an especially large amount of time following the STS-117 mission, spending most of the day with NASA TV on in the background. If you listen in to the communications between Houston and the astronauts on orbit, most especially during space walks. They are always positive, always complimenting each other, even on the minor things. "That was a great job there on tightening that restraint bolt." "That's an excellent camera view you're giving us." "Thanks for the wonderful support today from the ground crews." "Thank you so much for playing that song for our wake up. It's especially meaningful for me." "Excellent job on the thermal protection system inspections today." It's constantly like that. I honestly don't know if they do that because they do that or if they do that because they've been trained and instructed to communicate that way. Does it really matter either way though? When push comes to shove, there is constant support, nary a negative remark, and because of that (or at least largely because of that) the crews come home safely every time with a successful mission every time.

I'm not sure what all that means, or even what the point of me writing about it. It just occurred to me and it made me happy, so I thought I'd share it. Do yourselves a favor. Interact with those around you in a positive manner, no matter what. I can guarantee you'll be happier for it.

~AndyJams~

No comments: